15 Best Free Open Source Email Server Software For Windows
An email server is such a machine which handles all of your incoming and outgoing emails. Basically, an email server is a local post office if you can consider it to be. The server’s stores and lets you know about the various procedures with which you can read the emails, reply to the same and even forward the email to various other users respectively.
When the user happens to send or receive any email he or she needs to provide a request to the mail server and the following need is fulfilled.
Some of the most popular open source email server which you can use to send or receive emails are as follows:
15 Best Free Open Source Software To Set-up Email Server For Windows
Open-xchange comes in a variety of versions but the community version is the one which is free for all users. There are various other servers such as hosting and server edition as well as there is a server known as Advanced server version.
- Community version is for free
- The advanced server version allows the users to use Microsoft Outlook or MS exchange from within the webpage.
- The hosting server allows users to host various servers.
- Easy making of various ISPs is also possible with the email server.
Zimbra is application software which helps the users to manage various emails as well as manage dates in the calendar and various other collaboration solution. These features could be used both in the cloud servers as well as for public and private usage. Zimbra has the most amazing messaging experience any email corporation can provide to you. Often Zimbra is considered to be the alternative for the application Microsoft Exchange Server.
- POP and IMAP email support.
- Application can be used in mobiles.
- Web administration console.
- Inbuilt anti virus and anti spam.
- The backing up of the data and emails is done in real time.
- One click recovery
- Zimbra Mobile application is available.
- And much more.
Horde is a popular and free email client which provides you with the best email secure server from the web browser itself. Various add-ins in the form of features and modules are provided to make the web server more smooth.
- The users can send and receive various emails as well as calendar notifications and contacts with other users who are inside as well as outside their own list of acquaintances and contacts.
- . It provides smooth synchronisation interface for different devices for the same user itself.
- Most of the administration is performed with the help of a web interface.
Squirrelmail is a standard email client which works on the PHP support system and also supports the use of IMAP and SMTP protocol.
- For small offices who just want to focus on an email secure server, squirrelmail is the best alternative for any other application or website for doing the same.
- The smaller number of requirements and the easy configuration is really easy to understand even for inexperienced users
Scalix is popular for the most appropriate Outlook user experience. It is the most recent introduction of HP Openmail and has all of the services which a popular email corporation has to provide such as sending and receiving emails, PIM and various other services.
- The overlay calendar allows the users to merge the information from various other accounts into a single view.
- The users can share personal files and folders with other users or groups.
- With a single click, all of the messages can be sorted.
- The e-mails are sent in rich text format.
- And much more.
This is a popular and powerful open source email service where you can convert your Linux based server into a normal email server. This is the most reliable and most trusted mail server which is able to run Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Ubuntu and much more.
- Spam filtering
- Web admin panel
- Secure connections such as POP3, IMAP and webmail with HTTPS are available.
- The user can manage calendar dates and address books
- Unlimited accounts can be created
This is another Linux based opensource mail which allows mail hosting and management platform with an easy web interface. Modoboa allows access to all of the SQL databases which are available such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, etc.
Some of the useful components of Modoboa are administration panel, which is a basic need for making webmail. The whole webpage is written in Python programming language and uses Django, jQuery and Bootstarp frameworks to work.
- Allows access to all of the SQL databases which are available such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, etc.
- Built-in monitoring system.
- Administration panel to manage various domains, mailboxes and much more.
- The user can also set the client to autoreply to some specific postfix messages.
Java Apache Mail Enterprise Server is popularly known as Apache James by the users. A popular opensource SMTP and POP3 mail transfer agent. This email corporation is based upon NNTP mail server. The whole client is written in Java.
- Independent e-mail server.
- The ability to plug in various email processing agents together.
- It has the security of SMTP, LMTP, POP3 and IMAP.
Courier mail transfer agent is a well known integrated mail server. It runs on protocols such as ESMTP, IMAP, POP3, SSL as well as HTTP.
- The ability to manage a calendar and the scheduling services are integrated well into this webpage.
- It can also run on Linux OS and BSD Derived kernel.
- Mail services for virtual email accounts are also possible with this email client.
- E-mail filtering engine.
Another java based email server which features SMTP, POP3 and IMAP4rev1 protocols.
- The ability to handle virtual domains for the above-mentioned protocols is possible with Dwarf Mail server.
- It also provides rich app application message processing via the pluggable mail filters.
- Application based privacy and authorization
- ISP based webmail interface
- Supports multiple Operating Systems.
MailEnable is available in two versions namely the standard version and the premium version. Available for only windows servers, it works with the SMTP, IMAP and POP3 protocols.
- The standard version is a free mail server.
- The installation of this application is really easy to use
- managing personal calendaring, contacts, tasks, folders
- auto signature
- The webmail client also has an in-built Youtube player and MP3 media player.
Axigen is a popular email client preferable for mostly small and medium business organisations. It is the best alternative for Opensource mail servers, however, the only problem lies is that the free version can only support up to 5 domains, 5 users and 5 groups which are very problematic for users who need to have larger groups and more users.
- Mails from external accounts such as Yahoo! And Gmail are received and sent respectively.
- Manageable calendar, tasks and notes.
- Authentication and encryption.
- Cannot be hacked easily due to the presence of Multi layer access control (firewall like security)
- Identity confirmation system.
Zentyal is not only a mail server but it is a full network management system. Two versions are available namely, the commercial version and the community version. Mostly popular in small and medium business organisations.
- Firewall and proxy are available in the gateway.
- Antivirus and mail filter
- Works on SMTP, POP3, IMAP, SIEVE, CaIDAV, CardDAV protocols.
- The user can easily share files in Windows OS.
- Supported on most of the versions of Windows namely, Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 as well as 10.
Another AJAX powered groupware platform. It has web 2.0 interface along with SMTP, IMAP and POP3 protocols. The whole webpage client is written in C and it provides various implementations of these server protocols mentioned above.
- Ability to manage Address Book, store files, notes and tasks.
- Server to server application.
- SSL/TLS encryption for maximum security from hackers.
- It can support multiple domain.
A popular email server which is developed by Microsoft Windows Servers and is a free open source email corporation. It works with any kind of email client, the only requirement being it needs to support IMAP and SMTP.
It is totally GUI based webmail client.
- It is really easy to install and use.
- It supports all of the email protocols IMAP, SMTP and POP3.
- It also has its own built-in antivirus and anti-spam
- It has a built in backup system
- It has SSL encryption for security
- Facilitates scripting
I hope my above list of 15 Best Free Open Source Email Server Software For Windows was some helpful for you, please let me know in comments if you any further query!