How to find lost Android phone
How to find lost Android phone
Every now and then you might end up misplacing your phone or (even worse) having it stolen? And you just search for phone locator, or find my phone android, or find my phone, or track my phone. Don’t panic, I am here to share some valuable tips before your worst-case scenario of How to find lost Android phone strikes.
To find or track lost the Android phone, it usually needs to be connected to working internet connection. And in order to pinpoint a fairly accurate location, it should have an active connection to a WiFi network. Nevertheless, whatever might be your situation, I’ll cover most of the common options as well as out of the box perspective to cover also edge cases.
- How to find your lost phone using Google
- Find your lost phone using Third-party apps
- Install a tracking app to find your phone in future
How to find your lost phone using Google
You must have surely come across the Find My Device options in the settings menu. Yeah, that’s your savior which will aid in automatically track android phone location. Most Android devices have the inbuilt feature Find My Device formerly known as Android Device Manager. So whenever your Android phone goes missing, you can hop on your laptop or a friend’s phone to find its last known location on Google Maps. You can even ring your phone if it’s nearby or locks and erase your phone if you fear it has been stolen.
How to enable Find My Device on your phone
In recently launched Android devices, the Find my device is already located dexterously in your Settings app, but if you still can’t locate it you can always download Find My Device from the Google Play Store. This locating service has been essentially blended with Google to make finding your phone a cake walk. All you need to follow these steps to activate the settings.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap on Security.
- Tap on Device Administration.
- Tap on Find My Device so that a tick mark appears in the checkbox.
- Return to the previous menu via the back button.
- Again return to main settings menu via the back button.
- Tap on Location in the main Setting menu.
- Tap the switch on, to turn it on.
- Tap on Mode, and select High Accuracy mode.
- Tap on Location History and turn it on.
- Tap on your device and turn it on.
Now your Android device is equipped with tools to locate it, ring it and even secure or erase the data on your lost android phone. Now you would we be wondering as to how to locate your lost Android phone, or how to ring your missing Android Phone and most importantly how to Secure or erase data on my your Android phone in case it has been lost? Don’t worry mate, follow these steps to locate its whereabouts by just logging into your Google account from any phone or even from any other computer.
- Launch any web browser into a phone, computer, or tablet.
- Browse to Google search engine or google.com
- Write find my device in the Google search bar.
- Tap on the first option in search, Find My Device.
- Enter your credentials like linked email address and password just as though you were logging into Gmail account. And if you have enabled a 2-step verification, you’ll need to complete that as well.
Once your phone is traced, you have three alternatives to pick from:
- You can Ring your phone so that it will play a sound even if you had it on silent mode. This feature is useful only when if the map specifies that is within earshot and you simply can’t see it.
- You can Lock your phone, even if you haven’t secured your phone with a screen lock previously so that the finder can’t access your home. You can display information on your device’s lock screen: either a phone number where you can be contacted or a message for the person who finds the device.
- You can Erase all contents from your phone. This is the best option if you know for sure that you aren’t like to repossess your phone. Because after your device has been erased, you won’t be able to locate it.
In case you are trying to spot your phone using Find My Device and it doesn’t seem to be functioning, the most obvious reason is that your phone isn’t currently connected to Wi-Fi or mobile network. In this situation, it’s essential to keep on trying; the moment your phones get connected to a network, it will be visible on the map.
Find your lost phone using Third-party apps
No doubt Google’s built-in option is definitely your best choice, there are some third-party apps you might want to give thought to. Despite tracking, locking and erasing your phones, it has got additional features that are really worth using it. So I have trimmed down the best third-party apps for you.
Life360 has come up with the Family Locator app that is substantially a GPS tracker for your phone but is extremely helpful for families with numerous phones in use. Your family members will appear in “Circle” that’s the name of the app for a closed group of people. Here you can track the phones in the real time of the family members who will appear on live maps in the form of little icons indicating the location of all the members at given moment.
You will also be able to chat with the people in your circle or plan a meeting location and time. And also if a phone from within your circle is stolen or lost, the app will locate it on the map.
The best thing that I personally like about this app is that you can set alerts for individuals in your circle (in my case, alerts for my family), and you have a range of options with the alerts. It can be set to alert you when someone leaves an area (home, work, school, any other area you pick) – or when someone arrives at any area you decide. Alerts can be on device or email and I have found them very consistent. If you have a family, I highly recommend using this app. Just install it on all the phones, and set up a circle.
Cerberus is one of the top-notch tracking apps which comes with hell lots of features for remote control options. The array of impressive features include tracking lost phone location, stealthily recording audio or video, accessing your camera, ringing your phone and wiping your data.
The other reason which makes it best in the market is that Cerberus allows you to hide the app in your app drawer so that it can’t be detected and remain unnoticed in case your phone is stolen.
On the top, Cerberus displays your phone’s current IP address and in how much time your phone’s battery would be empty. Another nice feature that is being provided by this app is to block the power menu. With this feature enabled, won’t let your phone to switch off while on the lock screen. This can buy you enough time to locate your phone if someone stole your phone. Apart from it, Cerberus provides with multiple options that are really helpful. Have a look at them!!
Download: Cerberus anti-theft (Free with in-app purchases)
Lost Android is quite identical to Cerberus and offers numerous option to remotely control your phone including tracking your phone, erasing its data and secretly taking pictures. Don’t be baffled by the basic look of the Lost Android website which is the interface where you can locate your lost phone and control your device.
Along with it, you can choose to remotely forward any incoming calls on your phone to another number that you may be missing in case your phone is stolen. Also, record a running list of all the calls and text made or photos clicked taken with your phone.
Have any suggestion for How to find lost Android phone, do let us know in comment section below!